P-EBT Update

Last updated September 29, 2021


The P-EBT program was extended by Congress in September 2020 for the 2020-2021 school year and was extended again by Congress in March 2021 to operate through the remainder of the federal public health emergency. On June 14, 2021, the U.S. Department of Agriculture approved Oklahoma’s school year 2020-2021 P-EBT plan.


The information on this page now applies to P-EBT for school year 2020-2021. This webpage will be updated with more information as it becomes available. Scroll down to view the frequently asked questions and for more information!

What is P-EBT?

Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT) helps families with children who would have received free or reduced-price meals if school buildings were not closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

P-EBT can be used to buy groceries.

Families with qualifying children will receive benefits, no application required. Not only does P-EBT help families directly, it helps our local economy as well! Using your benefit helps support stores in our state as well as workers employed at those stores. Using your benefits will not take it away from families in need of assistance.

Click here to read the full press release from the Oklahoma State Department of Human Services for Spring 2020 P-EBT benefits.

Click here to read the full press release from the Oklahoma State Department of Human Services for school year 2020-2021 P-EBT benefits.

Click here to read more information about school year 2020-2021 P-EBT benefits on the Oklahoma State Department of Education’s website.





Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

To view the frequently asked questions,  select a question topic below and it will expand.

Click here for information on P-EBT Eligibility

Who is eligible?
For the 2020-2021 school year, children must meet both of the following requirements:

  1. Must have been enrolled in a school district that participated in the federal free and reduced-price meal program.
  2. Must be eligible for free or reduced-price school meals through one of the following ways:
    • Applied and approved for the program.
    • Being directly certified through participation in programs like SNAP.
    • Attended a school that provided free meals to all students prior to the pandemic. For a list of those schools, please click here.

Eligible children will receive benefits based on the number of days they were unable to attend school in-person due to the pandemic.

Note: Schools participating in the National School Lunch Program have been able to serve no-cost meals since the beginning of the pandemic. This does not necessarily mean your child is qualified to receive P-EBT benefits. 

Do you have to meet SNAP guidelines to get P-EBT?
No. Families are not required to meet SNAP eligibility requirements.

Does P-EBT impact my citizenship status?
No. Participating in child nutrition programs, including P-EBT, does not impact citizenship status.

Do I need to apply to get P-EBT?
No. There is no application for the P-EBT program for the 2020-2021 school year. Eligible families will receive benefits automatically.

What if I’m not sure if my child receives free or reduced-price school meals?
Please contact your school’s child nutrition department.

My child attended a school that offered free meals to all students before the pandemic. Will my family receive the P-EBT benefit?
Yes. Students at schools that provided free meals to all students before the pandemic should be automatically enrolled and sent the P-EBT benefit. For a list of those schools, please click here.

Do children who are homeschooled or attend a virtual charter school receive P-EBT?
Likely not. Only children who were enrolled in a school that serves in-person meals qualifies for the P-EBT program. P-EBT is meant to help with the cost of meals that children would have otherwise received in school. These rules are set by the USDA.

Click here for information on receiving P-EBT Benefits

How much money will each student receive?
Eligible students will receive a P-EBT card equivalent to $6.82 per day for school days in which the student was enrolled in a participating school AND received virtual instruction.

Note: No benefits will be issued for those days in which the student received in-person instruction or was counted absent from virtual instruction.

One of my students received a different on their card than a sibling. Is this correct?
Probably. P-EBT benefits are based on individual student attendance.

What if my address has changed?
P-EBT cards will be sent to the address on file with your school as of May 2021. To report a change of address, please use this form.

What months do benefits cover?
Benefits cover school year 2020-2021.

Note: Summer 2021 P-EBT benefits pending authorization.

How will I get benefits?
You will get an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card in the mail. The outside envelope may not be clearly marked so please be sure to keep a close eye on your mail.

Note: New P-EBT cards are being issued to all eligible families. Old P-EBT cards will be deactivated when the new cards are sent out. Benefits are tied to a specific case/account number, and not the specific card. 

When will I receive P-EBT benefits?
School year 2020-2021 benefits will be issued beginning in September 2021 and split over multiple deposits.

If you believe you qualify but have not received a card by Oct. 15, 2021, please use this form so your school can review your child’s file.

How do I activate my P-EBT card?
Call (888) 328-6551 and follow the instructions. Speaking to a representative is not required to activate a P-EBT card. When prompted, enter ‘0000’ for the last four digits of the Social Security Number.

My child mistakenly got a letter saying that they applied for SNAP benefits and/or they are required to register for work. What should I do?
If you received a work registration requirement letter addressed to your minor children, it was generated automatically and sent in error. You may disregard the letter.

Note: If you receive a letter addressed to an adult in the home, it is likely pertaining to a case you have with OKDHS. Please do not disregard letters addressed to an adult in the home.

If you have additional questions on this topic, please contact the Oklahoma Department of Human Services at (405) 522-5050.

What should I do if my card is lost or stolen?
Call the Oklahoma Department of Human Services at (405) 522-5050.

Click here for information on using P-EBT Benefits

Where can I use my P-EBT benefits?
You can use your P-EBT benefits at any store that accepts SNAP. To find stores in your area, please visit this link.

What can I purchase with my P-EBT benefits?
You may purchase food items such as fruits and vegetables, meat and fish, snacks for your kids, dairy products, eggs, cereal, rice, pasta, bread, and baby formula.

You may not purchase items such as pre-prepared food, hot food, pet food, alcohol, tobacco, or vitamins.

If using online shopping options, delivery fees and tips cannot be paid for with an EBT card.

What happens to unused funds?
Unused funds will carry over from month to month. Benefits that are not used for over a year will be removed from the card.

What should I do with my P-EBT card once I have used the benefits?
Keep the P-EBT card even if you have used the entire benefit. There could be additional benefits issued in the future.

Does using this benefit take it away from others in need of assistance?
No. P-EBT is available to all families who qualify and using the benefit will not take it away from other families in need of assistance. P-EBT helps families directly and our local economy as well! Spending your benefits helps support stores and workers in our state.

What should I do if I don’t think I need the benefit?
If you do not want the benefit, please contact the Oklahoma Department of Human Services at (405) 522-5050.

Please note: P-EBT helps families directly and our local economy as well! Spending your benefits helps support stores and workers in our state. Using your benefits will not take it away from families in need of assistance.

If you got P-EBT, you are likely eligible for SNAP

Call the toll-free SNAP Hotline to apply: 1 (877) 760-0114

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) is monthly money for food like P‑EBT – but you need to apply. You can get P-EBT and SNAP at the same time. If you apply and are eligible, you get a SNAP EBT card, which can be used like a debit card for food shopping.

SNAP eligibility is based on household size and monthly income. But, not all income counts (e.g. federally boosted unemployment benefits, one-time payments like stimulus checks and child tax credit monthly payments). Find out more!

SNAP is not considered in a “public charge” test. If you are not a US citizen, you can get SNAP for an eligible family member (like your U.S citizen child). Find out more!

Like P‑EBT, SNAP can be used at most grocery stores, corner stores, and other food stores like farmers markets. You can also buy food online at ALDI, Amazon, Cash Saver, FireLake Discount Foods, Homeland Food Stores, Reasor’s, Sooner Foods, United Supermarkets, and Walmart.

SNAP can connect you to other kinds of help, like utility discounts and extra food dollars through Double Up Oklahoma. If you receive SNAP, you can get up to $50 off your monthly internet bill and a one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer through the Emergency Broadband Benefit.

If you got P-EBT, you are likely eligible for SNAP.

If you don’t have SNAP, our trained specialists can help you complete and submit a SNAP application over the phone. The application takes about 30 minutes!

Call us toll-free at 1 (877) 760-0114

English and Spanish application assistance available:
Monday-Friday 8 AM – 8 PM
Saturday 9 AM – 5 PM

Burmese and Zomi application assistance available:
Wednesday-Friday 1:30 PM – 8 PM
Saturday 1 PM – 5 PM

If you are already enrolled in SNAP and need to make changes, call DHS directly at 1-405-522-5050.

If you believe your EBT card has been lost or stolen, call 1-888-328-6551.

You can apply for SNAP online at any time. Click here to download the step-by-step guide guide before you start. Click here or the image above to start your application.

Other Resources

Translate »